Take a plain tote and pimp it up with the addition of a zipper pouch and a handle switch.
Sew up a pouch and add it to the front or inside of your bag and replace the handles with something funky.
Watch the YouTube video below for full instruction or scroll down further for written details and sizes.
Cutting guide – 14″ x 10″ Pouch outer (cut 1) | 14″ x 10″ Pouch lining (cut 1) | 26″ x 5″ Handles (cut 2) | 12″ zipper (minimum)
- Place outer and lining right sides together and sew around, pivoting at the corners and leaving a 3″ opening in one narrow side
- Clip the bulk from the corners, turn in the right way and press well
- Attach both short edges to either side of the zipper tape
- Place pouch right sides together and position the zipper 1.5″ down from the top edge
- Sew up the open ends
- Turn in the right way and press
- Attach to the tote in the position of your choice.
- For the handles, press each handle length ways wrong sides together. Open back out and bring the raw edges into the press line. Place both folded edges together and press.
- Topstitch down both lengths at 1/8″ allowance
- Cut off the existing bag handles, flush to the top of the bag
- Fold over the top edge of the bag to the wrong side by 1″
- Tuck the raw edges of the handles under the fold and position in place begin careful not to twist the handle
- Sew around the top edge of the bag. 1/4″ from the top edge and again 1/4″ from the base of the fold
- Flip up the handles to the correct position and sew a square with a cross through the centre (diagonally) on each strap
Once you’ve finished your tote, please share it with me on social media. You can find me on Instagram @artyfartymack and @beautifulthingshq