Today I’d like to show you how to make a double-sided cutting & pressing mat. These are handy to have if you are undertaking a small sewing project with lots of small pieces that need regular pressing. No need to keep getting up and ironing between stitching a seam.
You will need:
Plywood or cardboard, Duck tape, Staple gun, staples, hot glue gun, glue sticks, cutting mat of any size, quilting cotton, lightweight iron-on interfacing, wadding, toy stuffing (optional).
- Cut a piece of plywood or 2-3 pieces of card that measure 1/2″ less all round to the size of your mat
2. Cut a piece of wadding 1.5″ larger all round than the size of your card or wood
3. Wrap your card or wood with polyester wadding or a layer of toy stuffing and a lightweight wadding
4. Secure with duck tape
5. Cut a piece of quilting cotton 3″ larger all round than your mat.
6. Interface the back of your quilting cotton
7. Wrap your fabric around the padded board and staple gun in place
8. Secure the stapled edges with more duck tape
9. Hot glue your mat onto the back of the padded board